Saturday, August 9, 2008

Drive Thru Computer

The average person probably goes to their computer a few times a day. Maybe more. But I, I go to my computer dozens of times a day. This sounds sad, and may make it seem as though I have no life, which is untrue, but it's really all about geography. You see, my computer resides in our living room on an inviting, round, red coffee table, and since I frequently pass through the living room during the day, I am usually drawn to my computer. Have I got a new e-mail? Usually, I have. Has anything new happened on Facebook? Usually, there has. Have I had a sleep walking episode and written a blog in the middle of the night? Unfortunately, no.

And you see, therein lies the problem: I am on my computer a lot, but I never actually do anything. Well, I do feed and compete my dogs on the Pet Pupz application on Facebook religiously, but other than that, nothing I do is very productive (if you can even consider feeding cyber-pets as productive).

I should be blogging, I should be writing long and interesting e-mails with which to surprise my family, who for the most part don't hear from me often, and certainly not by long-winded letters. I should be working on my new book project. The problem with being your own boss and also being the only current employee is that you can get away with procrastination extremely easily, since you only have yourself to talk into it, and you're the one who wants to put off your work in the first place.

The sum of all this garble: I need to stop using my computer like a drive thru window and start spending quality time doing worthwhile things instead of Facebook creeping. I know I can do this. I will do this! Please give me a moment while I laugh at myself.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Facebook creeping can be so informative and interesting. I enjoy it I must say. To be 100% honest though, I always am on the computer doing various things but none being productive. A few times a day I go on and no I have no new emails, or there is nothing new on the FB but it's habit what can I say. I think any time spent on the computer can be useful it just depends how you view it. I go on the comp to do movie reviews, play games to relax, download music and movies. Nothing wrong with that. To some that's not productive but to me it is. It's all how we look at things!